Disney’s Contemporary Hotel was built in 1971. The hotel was built as an A-frame, as seen in the picture to the left. The rooms were built off-site and completely done with all the furnishings built in. They were designed to be taken out as well if work needed to be done on something. The rooms, also called pod’s, were later inserted into the building. The Disney’s Contemporary Hotel has as amazing view of the Magic Kingdom, and you can watch the fireworks at night from a few of specific spots.
Since the Disney’s Contemporary Hotel has opened, there have been major renovations as well as the new addition of the Bay Lake Tower. This is a 15 story addition that opened on August, 4th 2009. It is connected by skyway to Disney’s Contemporary Hotel. On September 16th 2008 Disney announced the the Bay Lake Tower would be part of the Disney Vacation Club. Bay Lake Tower has an amazing view from the Top Of The World lounge, where Disney Vacation Club members that are staying on-site and view fireworks nightly or even get a cocktail. It also has a great pool area with a really big slide.
Disney’s Contemporary Hotel Review
When I think about going on a vacation, I usually think about going to Disney World. The crowds and the waits don’t bother me, mainly since I bought into the Disney Vacation Club – and I feel like I’ll be going here for years and why should I hurry. When I think about what hotel to visit it’s always Disney’s Contemporary Hotel, and by extension Bay Lake Tower.
Disney’s Contemporary Hotel amenities
While I think Animal Kingdom Lodge has the best pool at any hotel I have stayed at, Disney’s Contemporary Hotel has a great slide. My son loves it – and will keep going on it till we make him stop.
My favorite part of Disney’s Contemporary Hotel is that it is on the monorail, and is walking distance to the Magic Kingdom. I don’t know about you, but this is our favorite park. The closeness of the hotel to the park is great. As well as not having to take sleeping kids out of strollers at the end of the day.
- Room Service – Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Fitness Center - The spa and salon offers massage therapy, skin care, body treatments, steam rooms, saunas and fitness equipment including; free weights, treadmills, ellipticals, bicycles and stair climbers. Lockers are available.
- Babysitting and Child Services
- Concierge Assistance
- Business Center – Computers, fax machines, copy machines and secretarial services.
- Valet parking – for a fee.
- Laundry Facilities/Services – A laundry is onsite – Dry cleaning and laundry services are available daily for a fee.
- Services for Guests with Disabilities – Disney’s Contemporary Resort includes rooms available to Guests with disabilities, including wheelchair-accessible bathrooms and rooms designed for the hearing impaired.
- Room Amenities
- Cable TV
- Wireless (Wi-Fi) Internet Access (additional fee applies)
- High-speed Internet access (additional fee applies)
- Iron and Iron board
- Coffee Maker
- Pack ‘n Play Playards
- Club Level Guest room amenities
- Pre-arrival itinerary planning assistance
- Concierge level Cast Member assistance from 7 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Evening turndown service
- Alarm Clock with CD Player
- DVD Player
Disney’s Contemporary Hotel Restaurants
When it comes to restaurants, staying at Disney’s Contemporary Hotel is great. You have much quicker access to the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian. You have amazing restaurants in the hotel, and you have boat access to Disney’s Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. These hotels have even more great restaurants.
The restaurants in Disney’s Contemporary Hotel are great, and a big plus is Chef Mickey’s. We once stayed at another Disney Hotel, and making this early morning reservation is tough. When staying at Disney’s Contemporary Hotel you wake up and go right down, which is great.
With the weather Florida can get, I do love the indoor access to your room as well as how close your room is to the main hotel. Some Disney hotels are so spread apart you need to take the bus to get to your room from where you check in.
As to the decorations and the feel of the resort, I do love the modern theme. It may not be for everyone, but it is for me.
Stay where it feels comfortable to you. It’s your vacation.
Staying at Bay Lake at Disney’s Contemporary Hotel is a must for me.