Star Wars Weekends
For the last three years, my family has made it a point to go to Disney World in May. We have two important reasons: the most important reason is my son was born in May – so killer birthday trip and the second is Star Wars weekends. Second, this fills the inner Star Wars geek quota in me and it is a blast. When you love Star Wars this is a great time to visit Disney World. You will find people dressed up as well and many things to buy. The Star Wars Weekends merchandise is amazing, and you will want to leave a good amount of your money due to it. I have a Star Wars Weekends tee shirt from every year we have been there. Here are some Star Wars Weekends tips and tricks to help you enjoy this weekend.
1. Arrive early! Fast passes are given out for many events which include autographs from various Star Wars weekends attending actors. This also lets you get to the merchandise area before others. Some of the Star Wars Weekends schwag will sell out. Getting there early ensures you can buy it. There are limited edition Star Wars Weekends pins and other collectables.
2. Find where the Star Wars Weekends merchandise area is – every event there are some exclusive items and limited edition items, and some of this Star Wars Weekends will likely sell out within the first few hours.
3. Enjoy the fun! The Stormtroopers commenting on the crowds from above the entrance as you go in is priceless; same with the roaming characters. One year, I had my son in his stroller and a Stormtrooper stopped us. He looked at my son’s stroller and saw our name, then made it a point to look at my backpack, not seeing it and gestured like he was going to take me in. It was very funny. We do a lot of the character photos. Star Wars Weekends is a special time when the Disney characters are dressed like the Star Wars characters. You also have classic characters like Boba Fett.
5. Check out the Star Wars Weekends daily parade & special shows, not to be missed. The Hyperspace Hoopla and the Parade are killer. I can wait for this years version.
6. If you have kids old enough, have them try to do the Jedi Training. My son is finally old enough now, and with luck, he will battle Darth Vader come May 2012. There are tricks to get you kids picked. One Ive heard is to make a sign on a manilla folder for the Star Wars Weekends Jedi to see your kid. Hopefully they will be picked to train with the Jedi and fight Vader. If you have a trick for this let me know, my son will be old enough this year, and hope he is picked.
7. Lastly, don’t forget to bring a camera and sunblock. The picture lines for the Star Wars weekends characters are long, but the wait is worth it. We got a killer picture of me, my son, and Boba Fett. The bounty hunter got us, and it was well worth it. Lastly have fun, enjoy, and make memories.
Star Wars Weekends Events
Celebrity Autographs – Have something signed by Star Wars celebrities. One autograph per Guest. You can get a Disney’s Fastpass to make sure you get place in line. You can get them at the celebrity autograph kiosk outside the Front Gate entrance. Make Sure you get a Fastpass before the park opens as the number of spots are limited. Once all of the Fastpasses have been distributed Disney may issue stand-by tickets, just be aware – a stand-by ticket does not guarantee an autograph.
Jedi Training Academy – Kids under 12 can participate in this show. They will work on their light-saber skills and then do battle with Darth Vader.
Hyperspace Hoopla! – Once each day, there is a special show with music, comedy and dancing. With Ewoks, Wookiees, stormtroopers, Jawas and some of your favorite characters, you will find a great show for the whole family.
Star Wars weekends is a great thing to do when traveling to Disney World in May. For me this is a great time to go to the parks. It may be crowded, but its well worth it.
Star Wars Weekends 2012 Dates